Tuesday 1 July 2014

I is for Independence Day

I have always shied away from Fourth July celebrations, but I'm currently doing some work for an American company and we're getting the day off!  So I'll ignore the fact that it's a celebration of becoming independent from the UK, and dig out the bunting I made for the Jubilee celebrations given the red/white/blue theme works for both!

And after a quick conflab with some colleagues, I'm also now hosting a small soirée.  I'm going for the full American experience...for which I'm turning to Martha for support.

First off...given the heatwave we're experiencing...I'm making up some fans.


Couldn't be easier.  Print off the templates onto light card, fold and stick to the stick.

These napkin rings are just as easy. Cut out four stars per 'ring', attach two to either side of the end of the string and wrap loosely around your cloth.  Adjust the colours according to your table linen.


And I'm also using a Martha menu for the day although I'm replacing the pudding with a star-themed one (also from Martha) to mirror the stars on the table.   I know the design of the menu's OTT (and that I may have to explain that phrase)...but it's fun!



And finally here's some music to play (in no particular order):
  • America – Tracy Chapman
  • Englishman in New York – Sting (given it’s being served in England)
  • Breakfast in America – Supertramp
  • Fairytale of New York – The Pogues
  • America – Neil Diamond
  • New York – Paloma Faith
  • Kids in America – Kim Wilde
  • King of New York – Fun Lovin’ Criminals
  • Living in America – James Brown
  • New York, New York – Frank Sinatra
  • Let the Rover Run – Carly Simon
  • Americanos – Holly Johnson
  • American Woman – The Guess Who
  • American Pie – Don McLean
  • American Beauty – Dead Already
  • American Life - Madonna
  • Young Americans – David Bowie
  • America! – Cast of West Side Story
  • Americano – Brian Setzer Orchestra
  • Born in the USA – Bruce Springsteen

What will you be up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment